restaurant spotlight – the ‘good morning’ edition
December 9, 2017Brandy Jones
Push aside that soggy bowl of Raisin Bran and luke-warm piece of buttered, whole-wheat toast. We invite you to take back the most important meal of the day. Whether you’re looking to warm up over a Dirty Chai Latte at your favorite coffee house, sit down for a quick bite at your local diner, or finally get everyone together for that perfect Sunday brunch, we’ve compiled a list of the best spots in town to kick off your morning.
- Bitty & Beau’s Coffee: Topping our list of local coffee shops in the area is Bitty & Beau’s. Opening it’s doors in January of 2016, this shop stands out for all the right reasons. Aiming to “create a culture where diversity is not just appreciated, but celebrated,” Bitty & Beau’s currently employees 40 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD.) Since opening its doors, Beau’s Coffee has helped to create a path for people with IDD to become more valued, accepted and included in every community.
- ZOLA Coffee & Tea: Located in the heart of midtown Wilmington, ZOLA shares a space with Wilmington’s independent book store, Pomegranate Books. Zola is Wilmington’s Coffee Roastery and Specialty Drink Laboratory and features third wave pour-over coffee, loose leaf tea and housemade coconut and almond milk tisanes, hand-crafted herbal sodas, North Carolina-made kombucha, and pastries by an award-winning local chef.
Breakfast & Brunch:
- The Basics: Featuring a collection of traditional Southern recipes with a modern sensibility, The Basics uses fresh ingredients, locally sourced seafood and produce, and homemade everything. Located in downtown Wilmington’s Cotton Exchange, The Basics offers a welcoming ambiance, responsive and knowledgeable waitstaff and is without a doubt our idea of a quintessential Southern brunch.
- The Dixie Grill: One of Wilmington’s most beloved dining locations, The Dixie Grille has been a Wilmington staple for nearly a century. Enjoy the relaxed, vintage atmosphere as you browse over their enticing breakfast menu and daily specials. Specializing in unique, southern dishes, The Dixie Grill offers everything from their old fashioned classics (be sure to try their infamous Dixie Benedict,) to specialty pancakes, waffles, hash and omelets.
- Boca Bay: Raise a glass to your new favorite brunch spot! Boca Bay allows diners a slightly more upscale environment while still maintaining a casual atmosphere perfect for any occasion. Offering their buffet brunch exclusively on Sunday’s from 9:00am-2:00pm, diners can enjoy an unlimited amount of breakfast staples such as eggs, breakfast meats, grits, waffles and more. Also featured on the buffet you’ll find an omelet bar, eggs benedict, pastries and fruit.
Where is your favorite place to enjoy the most important meal of the day?